Welcome to Sunday Supper, where our theme is Welcome Spring!! This weekend is the first real, authentic, pleasant spring weather I’ve personally had, so I’ve spent most of my time outside by the Hoboken waterfront instead of writing up this post. Oops. I regret nothing.
If we’re talking spring in the culinary realm, which of course we are, nothing says spring more to me than two produce items: rhubarb, and asparagus. So combining them both in a light salad simply could not be more perfect for today’s theme. This salad is light yet filling, and incredibly delicious. The flavors marry perfectly, the texture is ideally contrasted to come together in one amazing bite – though you’ll take many more bites than one, trust me on that.
In short, I loved this. And now I’m going back outside before we get days upon days of April rains again. Enjoy! And be sure you check out the Spring recipes from my Sunday Supper crew!
Source: Girl in the Kitchen by Stephanie Izard
1 cup white balsamic vinegar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 lb. rhubarb, sliced
¼ cup olive oil plus 2 tbs
2 lbs. fresh asparagus
Kosher salt and black pepper
4 cups baby arugula
2 oz. crumbled goat cheese
¾ cup slivered almonds, toasted
Combine the vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the hot liquid over the rhubarb in a medium bowl and let sit until the liquid has cooled and the rhubarb is slightly tender.
Strain the liquid from the rhubarb, reserving both. Make a vinaigrette by whisking 2 tbs of the rhubarb liquid with ¼ cup olive oil in a small bowl. Discard the remaining liquid or keep in the refrigerator for another use.
Preheat your grill or indoor grill pan to medium-high. Trim the asparagus spears and toss with the remaining 2 tbs olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Grill the asparagus until tender, 5 to 7 minutes, turning once or twice. Let the asparagus cool slightly, then chop into 2-inch pieces.
In a large salad bowl, combine the asparagus pieces with the arugula, goat cheese, almonds and reserved rhubarb. Drizzle in the vinaigrette, toss to coat, and serve immediately.
- Chicken Sausage, Apple and Cheddar Breakfast Bake by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Chive and Cheese Quiche by An Appealing Plan
- Lavender Scones by Feeding Big and More
- Lemon Raspberry Baked Donuts by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Matcha Donuts by The Ninja Baker
- Whole Wheat Lemon Berry Coffee Cake with Lemon Glaze by A Mindful Mom
- Artichoke Lemon Hummus by Food Done Light
- Asparagus and Goat Cheese Tart by Baking Sense
- Butter Lettuce and Spring Radish Salad by Hardly A Goddess
- Ceviche with Potato and Pea Shoot Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Roasted Strawberry Popsicles by Brunch-n-Bites
- Rustic Wrapped Tart with Ramps by Delaware Girl Eats
- An Unconventional Mojito by Monica’s Table
- Caribbean Cream Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lavender Lemon Cocktail by The Crumby Cupcake
- Limoncello Raspberry Sangria by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Spiced Rhubarb Champagne Cocktail by Hezzi-D Books and Cooks
- Vanilla Lavender Limeade by The Tip Toe Fairy
- Very Berry Springtime Spritzer by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Violet Hour by Wholistic Woman
- Cheese Ravioli with Morel Cream Sauce by Palatable Pastime
- Cheese Tortellini with Herbed Ricotta and Fava Beans by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Gnocchi Primavera with Spring Asparagus and Peas by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Grilled Pork Chops with a Dijon Balsamic Herb Glaze by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Lebanese Fattoush Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- One Pan Spicy Lemon Chicken with Tomatoes by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Orecchiette with Peas, Pecorino and Onions by Cooking Chat
- Pasta with Peas by Manu’s Menu
- Pesto Shrimp and Zoodles Oh My! by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Ramp and Mushroom Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Sesame Ginger Seared Ahi Coconut Tacos by Simply Healthy Family
- Spring Lamb Skewers with Roasted Baby Carrots by Food Lust People Love
- Spring Salad with Scallops and Strawberry Vinaigrette by My World Simplified
- Veggie Pasta Primavera by Momma’s Meals
- Asparagus, Goat Cheese, and Rhubarb Salad by The Texan New Yorker
- Green Peas with Onion and Bacon by Magnolia Days
- Minty Pea Farro Spring Salad by She Loves Biscotti
- Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Quinoa Pilaf by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Amazing Coconut Cake by A Baking Legacy
- Caramelized Black Figs and Walnuts with Mascarpone by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Carrot Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cookies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Colorado Crème by Cooking on the Ranch
- Honey Blossoms by Get the Good Stuff!
- Hot Milk Sponge Cake by Hey What’s for Dinner Mom?
- Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake by Angels Sweet Homestead
- Lemon Scented Choux with Rhubarb Ginger Pastry Cream by The Finer Cookie
- Meyer Lemon Bars by The Chef Next Door
- No-Bake Berry Greek Yogurt Pie by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Rhubarb Meringue Pie by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spring Cookie Bouquet by The Freshman Cook
- Strawberry Cheesecake Puffs by Moore or Less Cooking
- Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cake by Sweet Mornings
- Strawberry Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream by Tramplingrose
- Strawberry Moscato Sorbet by Seduction in the Kitchen
- The Black Beast by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Plus Spring Vegetable Minestrone and more Spring Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement