Welcome to Sunday Supper! Our theme this week was One Pot Meals. A fantastic theme, of course; who likes doing dishes? We all need some one pot meals in our repertoire, meals we can bust out on those grumpy days where you know that calling for take-out will be guilt-inducing, but you really don’t want to cook an elaborate meal. This recipe is PERFECT for those days.
So, no false advertising here – this is eggplant parmesan in a soup bowl. I’m serious, it’s soup, but it tastes exactly like eggplant parmesan! And since I’m a huge eggplant parm fiend, this soup delighted my little soul.
Like I mentioned, I love, love, love a well-executed eggplant parmesan. But let’s be honest, eggplant parm is the complete opposite of a one pot meal. More like a use-almost-every-dang-pan-in-your-kitchen meal, right? It’s kind of a production to pull off. But with this soup, you get all those beloved flavors in an easy to make and easy to clean up soup. Perfect!
The only recipe note I have is to add the vinegar slowly and titrate up if desired. I added the entire amount called for, and while that tang is a lovely addition to the soup, I found it a tad strong and wished I had backed off a little. And be sure to check out the rest of the Sunday Supper crew! As per usual, I’ve linked to their amazing recipes as well. Enjoy!
Source: Flour, Too by Joanne Chang
3 tbs olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
2 large eggplants, chopped (no need to peel)
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes, with juice
2 cups white sandwich bread, cubed
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 ½ cups grated parmesan cheese
Up to 2 tbs red wine vinegar (I’d start with half of that, taste, and then add more if needed)
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
Set a large soup pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add the olive oil and when hot, add the onions and garlic. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes, until the onions just start to soften. If they brown a little, back off the heat a tad. Add the eggplant and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the eggplants break down and start to become mushy.
Add the tomatoes. Fill the now-empty tomato can with water and add that to the soup. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and simmer about 5 minutes. Add the bread cubes and stir for 1 minute, or until the bread breaks down in the soup. Stir in the basil and parmesan, turn off the heat and let cool slightly.
Using your immersion blender, puree the soup until very smooth. Alternately, you can do this in batches in your regular blender. Bring the pureed soup back up to a simmer. Season with the vinegar, salt and pepper. If the soup seems too thick, thin with a little water.
Ladle the soup into bowls and serve immediately.
Check out the rest of the fabulous #SundaySupper team!
“Take the chill off” Chilis, Soups, and Starters
- Sweet Potato and Sausage Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Eggplant Parmesan Soup by The Texan New Yorker
- Cream of Tomato and Tortellini Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Korean-Style Short Rib Soup (slow cooker) by I Run For Wine
- Chicken Corn Chowder by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini Soup by Neighborfood
- Lasagna Soup by The ROXX Box
- Beefy Skillet Nacho Bake by The Weekend Gourmet
- German Onion Soup by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- White Bean and Spinach Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Korean Oxtail Soup (Kkori Gomtang) by kimchi MOM
- Fall Squash Chili by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
“Put meat on your bones” Stews
- Brew Stewed Beef by The Foodie Army Wife
- Dr. Pepper Shredded Chicken (slow cooker) by girlichef
- Pepper Beef Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Slow Cooked Beef Stew with Red Wine, Carrots and Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fabulous French Cassoulet by Webicurean
- Slowcooker Coq Au Vin by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Claypot Braised Tofu by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Moroccan Lentil Ragout with Poached Eggs by The Wimpy Vegetarian
“Make room for seconds” Main Dishes
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Kalua Pork by Shockingly Delicious
- Chicken and Dumplings by Hip Foodie Mom
- Spicy Tomato Pasta by Supper for a Steal
- Spicy Coconut Chicken Casserole by The Urban Mrs.
- Carnitas with Queso Fresco Enchiladas by Casa de Crews
- Slow Cooker Garlic and Herb Pork Chops and Veggies by Cookin’ Mimi
- Jambalaya by Country Girl in the Village
- Easy Oven Sweet & Sour Chicken by Momma’s Meal
- Asian Chicken Rice Pot by A distinguished palate
- Quick One Pot Red Beans and Rice by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Stir Fry by Foxes Love Lemons
- One-Pot Lentil Chicken by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Beef and Quince Tajine by MarocMama
- Slow-Cooked Italian Beef Sandwiches by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sunday Supper Pork and Chorizo by Family Foodie
- Mediterranean Chicken Bake by The Dinner-Mom
- Easy Chorizo, Corn and Potatoes by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Crockpot Roasted Corn, Tomato and Broccoli Risotto by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Quick ‘n Easy Asian-Style Quinoa by NinjaBaking.com
- Pan-fried Chicken with Bacon and Asparagus by Food Lust People Love
- Vegetarian Chipotle Tamale Pie by Curious Cuisiniere
- Turkey Sausage and Noodle Pesto by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pot Coconut Rice Shrimp Pilaf by Sue’s Nutrition Buzzz
- One Pot Spicy Pasta by Mess Makes Food
“Can’t say no” Desserts
- Vegan Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Busy-Day S’mores Cake by Treats & Trinkets
- Mascarpone Pumpkin Cheesecake in the Microwave by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Spiced Apple Crisp by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Flourless Almond Butter Cookies by Pies and Plots