Happy Sunday Supper everyone! Today’s theme is Summer BBQ Party – a wonderful theme since I think we can all agree that summer bbq parties (or summer cook-outs, whichever nomenclature you prefer) are one of the most fun things ever. Growing up, such parties were a fixture on the calendar. Sometimes my parents were hosting, sometimes we were guests, but it seemed like there was one on the schedule almost every weekend of the summer. And they’re such a blast.
I chose to make this delicious side dish for three reasons: 1) coleslaw of some kind is a summer bbq staple everywhere; 2) seeing as this is Asian-flavored, it’s a little bit outside the box for your typical American summer bbq, which appealed to me; and 3) it uses mangos, which are beautifully in season in my area right now, and I’m trying to use up all the summer produce I can, while I still can.
But I’m actually trying to use all that summer produce in some savory dishes for once. I usually bake desserts or sweet breakfast goods with it, which is always delicious, of course. But this summer I wanted to challenge myself to find more savory uses for this luscious summer produce. Not that there won’t also be sweets on the blog this summer. I mean, please…
So y’all enjoy this delicious, spicy, summer-bbq-worthy slaw, and do not forget to check out all the loveliness from my Sunday Supper gang! Enjoy!
Source: adapted from Man Made Meals by Steven Raichlen
2 generous tbs sambal chile paste, or to taste
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
3 tbs sugar
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup fresh lime juice
¼ cup Asian fish sauce or soy sauce
1 small (about 1 lb.) head green cabbage
1 ripe mango
18 slender green beans (hericots verts)
½ cup coarsely chopped cilantro
1/3 cup coarsely chopped dry-roasted peanuts, salted or unsalted
First make the dressing: in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sambal, garlic, sugar, black pepper, and fish sauce. Set aside.
Split the cabbage into quarters, and core each section. Thinly slice it with a sharp knife, or I prefer a mandoline slicer. Peel and pit the mango, then slice it into thin strips. To the bowl with the dressing, add the cabbage, mango, green beans, and cilantro. Toss well to combine. Garnish with the peanuts and serve.
- Best Wines For A Summer BBQ Party from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Grilled Peach and Cinnamon Whiskey Sour from Peaceful Cooking
- How To Make Fresh Squeezed Lemonade from Life Tastes Good
- Pineapple Margaritas from The Messy Baker
- Stone Fruit Sangria from Because I Like Chocolate
- Strawberry Lemonade from Basic N Delicious
- BBQ Stuffed Calimari from Jane’s Adventure in Dinner
Sides and Accompaniments
- Cucumber Salad with Blackberry Browned Butter Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Easy Fruity Salad from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Grilled Corn on the Cob with Lime Butter from The Redhead Baker
- Jacques’ Cucumber Salad with Onions from Food Lust People Love
- Mango Peanut Slaw from The Texan New Yorker
- Mom’s Classic Macaroni Salad from Webicurean
- Roasted Strawberry BBQ Sauce from Bobby’s Kozy Kitchen
- Two Tomato Chutney from What Smells So Good?
- Asian-Style Pasta with Gochujang Peanut Sauce from Wallflour Girl
- Barbecue Ribs from girlichef
- BBQ Stuffed Peppers from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Bistecca from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Competition Baby Back Ribs with Apple-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Clams with Chorizo from Noshing With The Nolands
- Grilled Sanma from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Grilled Shrimp with Lemon Basil from Nosh My Way
- Grilled Swordfish and Eggplant with Fusilli and Tomatoes from Cooking Chat
- Grilled Wings from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Oregano Spatchcock Chicken from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mango Beef Kebabs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Steak Skewers with Chimichurri from Jelly Toast
- Sweet and Tangy Blueberry BBQ Chicken Pizza from Simply Gourmet
- Amazing S’mores 7-Layer Bars from Flavor Mosaic
- Banana Pudding Pie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Blackberry Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Blueberry and Raspberry Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Farm Stand Blackberry Buckle from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Grilled Peach Crumble from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone Cream and Sweet Balsamic Syrup from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Hot Fudge Ice Cream Pie from Melanie Makes
- Lemon Ricotta Bars from The Foodie Army Wife
- Old Fashioned Sour Cherry Pie from Pies and Plots
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- S’mores Chocolate Cookie Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.